After working with hundreds (maybe thousands) of overweight and obese clients over the past 25 years, there surface some basic tenets of good healthy weight loss and maintenance. Although we are individuals and our coaches must treat us thusly, please note these worthwhile basics:
- Keep a food journal
- Practice sound nutrition, not fad diets
- Set realistic goals and stick to them
- Weight loss should be the opposite of weight gain, lose only a pound or so per week. The same holds true for those trying to gain weight, only gain about a pound or so per week.
- Eat a large variety of foods
- Eat small portions
- Exercise regularly
- Keep regular patterns of eating, sleep, work, play, etc.
- Eat organic whole foods and their healthy unprocessed byproducts
- Have a positive attitude
Permanent weight loss depends on behavioral changes, eating habits and energy levels. Consult a knowledgeable personal trainer or nutritional coach for more information.