Pain Elimination! That is the primary reason clients request my services. And of all pain, lower back pain is the most common and often most debilitating. To eliminate this condition, first the cause must be diagnosed. Lower back pain is often linked to herniated discs, disc tears, spondylolisthesis, and spinal stenosis. The original and contributory causes are often injury, trauma, osteoarthritis, scoliosis, and congenital traits.
However in my deep experience, I have found that most lower back pain originated from the following, often with secondary factors.
- Improper posture
- Improper movements
- Blockage of lymphatic or other bodily systems
Once we have established diagnosis and cause, it is then imperative to understand what to do. Finding a qualified practitioner to assist, such as myself, and having a positive attitude about your success is paramount. Once the incorrect past habits have been changed or eliminated, one can more onto the corrective phrase. Corrective will lead to pain elimination and the following guidelines will assist in that process:
- Understanding proper posture, seated, standing, lying and walking
- Understanding proper nutrition
- Understanding pelvic tilt and proper core activation
- Staying active
- Practicing yoga and pilates
- Strengthening the core musculature of the torso
- Practicing meditation
- Having a positive attitude
- Having routine bodywork such as massage therapy, chiropractic, rolfing, etc.
One of my most used exercise combos for lower back pain is the Crunch/Pelvic tilt and the Superdog. The Crunch/Tilt is performed lying supine with hands by ears, first lift hips with a proper pelvic tilt, then lower hips and lift head and shoulder (crunch). The Superdog is performed kneeling on all fours, raise one arm and opposite leg and alternate.