Go on any web search site or bookstore and find oodles of information on fitness. However hidden in the background is and often misunderstood is the role of recovery. Equally as important as your fitness and nutrition should be the way a one goes about assuring his or her body gets all the recovery methods available. Without proper recovery, fitness can not only be useless but could even be counterproductive.
Some aspects of recovery that can be followed are:
- Deep sleep of proper duration
- Proper nutrition including breakfast and easily assimilated multi-vitamin/mineral
- Sufficient hydration; moderation of alcohol, caffeine and other diuretics
- Have a positive attitude
- One day off per week and one week off per quarter
- See physician for injuries lasting over 14 days & to reduce medication
- Regular massage & contrast therapy (or ice therapy as needed)
- Regular flexibility including Yoga/Tai Chi/Pilates
- At least 30 minutes per day downtime (self-time, no worries)
Remember to reduce negative response to stress. Enjoy your life!