One of the basic series in most yoga practices is the Sun Salutation. Although there are many varieties, they all serve wonderful purposes.
A basic Sun Salutation A (surya namaskara A) would include these poses:
- Begin standing (mountain), feet together, sweep arms overhead
- Fold forward palms to floor (forward fold)
- Look up lengthen, flattening back (half fold)
- Walk or kick feet back to push up postion (high plank)
- Lower to floor and lift chest (cobra or up dog)
- Push up to inverted V (down dog)
- Hop or walk feet forward, look up lengthen again (half fold)
- Fold forward once more, palms to ground (forward fold)
- Rise up arms overhead and end in standing prayer (mountain)
The benefits of sun salutations are summed up nicely: “It is a holistic exercise that provides physical health benefits, but also mental or emotional as well as spiritual benefits. The obvious advantage of Surya Namaskar is the workout it provides for the muscles, but it also benefits joints, ligaments and the skeletal system by improving posture, flexibility and balance.In addition to these physical benefits,. surya namaskar practice stimulates and conditions virtually every system in the body. It is good for the heart and stimulates the cardiovascular system. It oxygenates the blood and helps strengthen the heart. Surya Namaskar is good for the digestive system and the nervous system. It stimulates the lymphatic system and supports respiratory system health, as well.” http://theresaann.hubpages.com/hub/benefits-of-surya-namaskar
Practice sun salutation soften and enjoy the benefits!