One of several areas built by Treasury Department between Cape Canaveral and Cape Florida for rescue and sustenance of shipwrecked. Named for wild sour orange grove nearby, H.D. Pierce, first keeper, arrived with family May 1876.
Here August 15, 1876, was born the first white girl between Jupiter and Miami — (Mrs.) Lillie Pierce Voss. Stephen N. Andrews was last keeper, from September 1877 to October 1, 1896. Area’s first post office, Zion, was located in House from 1888 to 1892, Mrs. Annie E. Andrews postmaster. House burned March 2, 1927. Park on North A1A and enjoy our beautiful beach and historic past.
Sources: Jonathan Dickinson Chapter National Society, Daughters of the American Revolution In Cooperation With The Florida Historical Society and the Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials.